Blog Search 

Learn why Openherd is "alpaca marketing made easy."
MadaVemiAlpacas

6/24/2011
MadaVemiAlpacas
I wondered if there's a way to search the Alpaca Farms section by those who utilize the Blog feature? I would love to read some of the blogs being posted but it's difficult to search each individual farm to see if they use this feature. Is there a way to track how many people read our own blogs?

Thanks,
Dawn Dolpp
Mada Vemi Alpacas
0 Link Sign in to reply
Chimera Ranch

Bennett, CO

chimera ranch

6/26/2011
Chimera Ranch

Bennett, CO

chimera ranch
I am surprised that Joe or someone on his staff hasn't jumped in here...

would be an interesting feature to be able to see what blogs were added today or in the past 10, 20 or 30 days...
0 Link Sign in to reply
MadaVemiAlpacas

6/26/2011
MadaVemiAlpacas
I'm sure he will get back to me shortly.

Dawn
Mada Vemi Alpacas
0 Link Sign in to reply
joe
Administrator

6/27/2011
joe
Administrator
Hi Dawn,

We'll be adding that ability but don't have a timeline yet. We have been giving it a bit of time for farms to become familiar with the blogging feature so that there's good participation and a more blogs to eventually search.

For those of you who don't know what we're talking about here, here's a quick explanation:

A "blog" is a hybrid word that comes from "web" and "log". A blog is a kind of online journal where thoughts, daily happenings, interesting tidbits, or other resources are shared in regular entries that are organized chronologically. While blogs can seem like the kind of thing people do who have too much time on their hands, they are actually very strategic. Firstly, when you write about your farm, alpacas, and related subjects, you're creating more for search engines, like Google, to index. That means you can improve your presence and rankings in search engines. Secondly, when people visit your pages and read your blogs, it instantly tells them that your farm is active, on top of things, passionate about what you do, knowledgeable and experienced. Thirdly, a blog is a great way to record your farm's journey - it's ups and downs, successes and challenges - so that you can look back on where you've come from, see your progress and count your blessings. Customers are more likely to do business with a farm that gives the impression that they are very busy, active, and passionate about what they're doing.

To start blogging, just click the "My Pages" tab in your member account and click the "Add New Blog Entry" button. Just enter a title, text, and some pictures, and you're all done.

We'll be doing more with promoting the blogs that farms have been working on, so thanks for the "prod"!

Joe Preston
Openherd.com
0 Link Sign in to reply
MadaVemiAlpacas

6/27/2011
MadaVemiAlpacas
Joe-
Thanks for getting back to me on the searchability of blogging farms! I'm new to using the blog feature on Openherd but I have a few entries so far. You guys couldn't have made it any easier for a newbie to blogging! The hardest part is deciding what you want to blog about and which pictures to use.

I'm blogging because it is a great way to get people to return to my site to see what's going on at my farm. If they return to my site to read the blog posts, chances are, they will check out the alpacas I have for sale again and maybe take another look at our herdsires too. Great marketing opportunity!

Thanks,
Dawn Dolpp
Mada Vemi Alpacas
0 Link Sign in to reply
katy holland

6/28/2011
katy holland
We started using the Openherd blog in April. I too feel it is a great way to get people to come back to your site. I can't wait to announce the new arrivals this year! I agree with Dawn, it is super easy to do.

I love Openherd! It is much easy to use then other sites. I think that Openherd gives farms many oppurtunities to get their name out there! It is nice to have a site where things are regularly updated and advisors actually hear your thoughts. Much better than AN.
0 Link Sign in to reply