Down Male 

Dr. Ruthanne McCaslin, DVM is an experienced alpaca veterinarian and breeder. Ask her your questions about alpaca healthcare and nutrition.
khillhouse1

3/22/2017
khillhouse1
I found one of my male alpacas down on Wednesday, March 15, 2017. My husband and I lifted him up. He was a little shaky, but quickly walked away to pee and poop. We sectioned him off in the barn because Monday, March 12 I found another male on top of him. We figured his front right leg was bruised/sore because he seemed to be favoring that leg. Monday afternoon I saw him trip and fall. Again, we lifted him since he wasn't able to get up on his own. We loaded him up and took him to the vet. Doc said he didn't see anything abnormal. His color and temp was good. He gave us Banamine and Dexamethasone. Thursday, we had to lift him up again since he is unable to get up one his own, but he was walking by himself. Same on Friday morning. Friday afternoon, we lifted him so he could walk around. He wasn't able to take a step without falling down. We tried this four times, each time making sure he had been standing for a good five minutes before letting him try to walk. We took him to the vet as soon as we could get him in the trailer. Doc ran his blood sample and found him to be fighting an infection and severely anemic. Treated him with Thiamine, LA200, Lixitonic, and Panacur. He was up and walking for several hours on Saturday, March 18. Monday, we lifted him up. He stood for about 45 minutes, taking small steps. It's now Tuesday night, March 21. He can not get up on his own. When we lift him, he tucks his legs, drops his head and refuses to stand. He does this even in a sling. He's very alert, eating and drinking, peeing and pooping all from a cushed position. His back legs work fine. I'm taking him to the vet tomorrow to have another blood test run to see where we are. Does anyone have any idea what's going on with him????
0 Link Sign in to reply
sue c

3/26/2017
sue c
Was a fecal run?
0 Link Sign in to reply
khillhouse1

3/26/2017
khillhouse1
Yes, fecal was run. I lost him Thursday. Thanks for the question though. I appreciate it.
0 Link Sign in to reply
katy holland

6/7/2017
katy holland
Did you have a necropsy done on him? I'm thinking it could have been a meningeal worm? Just a thought?
0 Link Sign in to reply