All messages by user: Tanglewoodfarm

1/5/2015
Topic:
Vitamin A and D injectible or paste?

Tanglewood Farm

Fayetteville, OH

Tanglewoodfarm
Hello Dr. Ruthanne, I have Vitamin A &D injectable. Is that ok to give to alpacas? If so, how much for a youngster, and how much for an adult?
4/3/2015
Topic:
Import information

Tanglewood Farm

Fayetteville, OH

Tanglewoodfarm
giacorde wrote:
Hi guys, my name's Giacomo from Italy (Rome), i'd like to do a question about import of live alpacas from US to Europe (Italy),
i have a lot of confusion in my mind about the possibility and the convenience of that.
Let me say that in Europe there are few alpacas and those are not good for wool production but the prices are hight and this is why the market is very low.
I saw in the Us the situation is better and trade of alpaca is incresing a lot, so i asking myself if there were some chances to import a little group of animals with good wool characteristics.

thank you

best regard
4/3/2015
Topic:
Import information

Tanglewood Farm

Fayetteville, OH

Tanglewoodfarm
Hello there in Italy. I think there are some farms that are exporting, but it is a very complicated procedure so far, with alpacas having to be in quarantine for a good while. I would be interested in doing something like that, but would have to find out how and what needs to be done.
10/31/2015
Topic:
Azaleas?

Tanglewood Farm

Fayetteville, OH

Tanglewoodfarm
roniperkins wrote:
Hello. Do any of you have Azaleas on your property? I know they are related to Rhododendrons, and I know that Rhododendrons are said to be toxic to livestock, but I don't know if that means that Azaleas are toxic as well. I'm not talking about growing them in the pastures, but just along the house, nowhere near the alpacas.
Thanks for your time.
10/31/2015
Topic:
Azaleas?

Tanglewood Farm

Fayetteville, OH

Tanglewoodfarm
Just saw your post. Yes, Azaelias are very toxic, so make sure that the animals never get to where they are.
10/31/2015
Topic:
Best barn flooring

Tanglewood Farm

Fayetteville, OH

Tanglewoodfarm
centralhill wrote:
I am new to the alpaca industry and getting ready to build my barn. Any suggestions on the best flooring to put in the barn?

I have crushed run with limestone sand on top. It is easy to clean, but needs to be replaced occasionally, as depressions occur where they have pooped and peed. In cleaning, some of the limestone sand is always picked up with the poop. I keep a pile of the limestone sand handy nearby for just that reason. The alpacas, by the way, love getting on top of the pile, so I am constructing some small 'hills' for them in the pastures so that they can get on top. I planted a tree when I first started, on top of a small hill that was made from the soil the builder of my barn removed, and it is now a nice shade giving tree. The pacas love to go up to the trunk and then roll down the hill. It is hilarious to watch them do that.
10/31/2015
Topic:
Subject: Large Guard Dogs

Tanglewood Farm

Fayetteville, OH

Tanglewoodfarm
diena riddle wrote:
Hi, I am not familiar with Maremma pups, have been considering Pyraneese to guard my new herd. Could you share more about your pups?
Thanks!

I considered several breeds when I was getting started twelve years ago, and opted for Anatolian Shepherds for several reasons: 1) they don't have fur that gets matted-it is short and easy to brush when needed 2) they only bark at night(or during the day) when there is something "out there", 3} they are imposing looking dogs that are highly intelligent and have been bred for guarding livestock for thousands of years, and 4) they have a much longer life span than most large breed dogs. I currently have a male that weighs 175 lbs, but can run like greased lightning when it is needed. Nothing gets into the pasture with his girls, without being dispatched. BTW, he does not eat what he kills, he just kills it and leaves it, but buzzards can't come in there to clean up, because he will get them as well if they land in the pasture.
8/28/2016
Topic:
Cydectin dose for alpacas

Tanglewood Farm

Fayetteville, OH

Tanglewoodfarm
mds24cu wrote:
swarer wrote:
If alpaca is diagnosed with barber pole parasites what is the Cydectin dose to delete parasites?

My Vet tells my 2x the listed for sheep. That's what I've given in the past.

Disclaimer: I'm not a Vet.
8/28/2016
Topic:
Cydectin dose for alpacas

Tanglewood Farm

Fayetteville, OH

Tanglewoodfarm
I have a bottle on which the vet wrote the dosage for alpacas(Cydectin) I give 2cc for every 11 pounds the alpaca weighs. I weigh each animal that shows pale eye membranes, and give the required amount orally. Safeguard no longer seems to work here, so I use Cydectin.