Alpaca Farm

All messages by user: gregc

9/4/2017
Topic:
Gelded Males

gregc
I have 11 intact Suri males plus 2 new male crias. I've been reading about gelded males and most of what I've been able to find says that gelding them improves their fleece quality and personalities. Does anyone have any gelded males and what is your opinion/experience on this subject? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
edited by gregc on 9/4/2017
10/9/2017
Topic:
Gelded Males

gregc
katy holland wrote:
That is also what I have read. Plus they will fight less and you can pen them with females if needed.

Thank you for your response! I appreciate it.
10/9/2017
Topic:
Gelded Males

gregc
hhlalpacas wrote:
We only ever gelded one male, that cost us about $250. It did not improve the fighting, boys will be boys and will still fight for top dog. We ended up selling him for $300 so we lost money on that boy.....we would never do it again, and most likely would never put any male in with our females...even gelded.

OK, that's my dilemma. Thank you for your response I appreciate it.
3/6/2018
Topic:
Lame Foot

gregc
My oldest girl out of the clear blue started holding up her right rear foot. Hopped on 3 legs to drink, eat, poop and roll in the dust. Examined the foot and there were no visible signs of trauma. No swelling in either toe and leg bones felt fine all the way to and around hip. No vocalizations that she was in pain. Gave shots of Banamine and B-Complex every few days. After 3 weeks of no improvement or further deterioration, one day she was down, wouldn't eat and the next day she died. First thought this was age related due to her being 15 yrs old. Has anyone ever had anything similar happen? Didn't take her to the vet because another alpaca breeder 1.5 hrs away had a 2 yr old female with the same symptoms, after numerous blood tests, exams and $700 the vet told her I don't know what's wrong, let's do more tests. Any info or insight into this would be greatly appreciated