Interesting Alpaca Facts
- Alpaca fleece is lanolin free unlike sheep wool. Therefore it is Hypoallergenic, warmer and not as itchy. It also doesn't need harsh chemicals to clean.
- Their fiber is flame and water resistant.
- Alpacas spit when stressed, feel threatened, or to determine pecking order.
- Male alpacas orgle during breeding in order to get the female to ovulate.
- There are 22 different colors of alpacas and hundreds of shades.
- An Alpaca is a domesticated species of the South American Camelid. It resembles a small llama in appearance.
- Alpacas are bred once a year. The female has a gestation period of 242-345 days.
- Alpacas usually have their baby in morning.
- Alpacas live up to 20 years.
- They live in a wide range of habitats.
- They all defecate in the same pile.
- Alpacas are herd animals.
- Alpacas hum and click to communicate with their cria.
Updated February 22, 2017